Tuesday 29 April 2008

Amazing Apricot Curd




It's been a while since I posted, I know. I've had lots of successful recipes since the last one I posted, but this one really stands out, so even though It's crunch time for the final papers of my post-grad classes, I found time to type up the recipe for this Amazing Apricot curd. It was so delicious that when I went to fill the cake with it, I'd eaten too much of it and had to fill half the cake with leftover strawberry-lemon curd that I made last week during my obsession with finding the perfect tart filling. (Inspired by Frank Beddor's desctiption of "tarty tarts" in Alyss's Wonderland.) Anyway, here's the recipe, and above are some pictures of the lemon chiffon cake I filled it with. (The chiffon cake recipe I have makes more batter than my bundt pan holds, so I can get about 9 cupcakes out of it, too, which is great for leftover curd)

Apricot Curd (w/lemon)

 

Seriously, the most amazing thing you may ever eat. Addictive, especially with little lemon chiffon cupcakes!

1 cup granulated sugar

5 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup water

1 1/2 cups apricot nectar

1/4 cup lemon juice

1 can apricot halves in syrup, finely chopped (or fresh apricots, if you can get them, about 8-10)

2 egg yolks, beaten (optional)

2 tablespoons butter (optional)

 

In saucepan, whisk half the sugar, the cornstarch and salt. (If not using egg yolks, add all the sugar and 1 or 2 additional Tbsp cornstarch). Stir in water and juices until evenly mixed. Bring to boil over medium-low heat, stirring (sort of) constantly – you don’t want it to cook unevenly and get lumpy. When it has boiled to the point that it is clear and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, take it off the heat.

If using egg yolks, whisk them with the other half of the sugar until they thicken and lighten in colour. Add a quarter cup of the hot juice mixture to the eggs to temper. When combined, add them back into the juice mixture pan and stir constantly over medium heat, but do not let it boil.

Remove from heat and add the butter, stirring until incorporated.

If you want to make this in other flavors, just use different juices and fruits in similar proportions. (Ex. Orange and Lemon with 1 tsp. zest from each makes sour orange pie filling, or using macerated strawberries instead of apricot nectar would be delicious too - Be Creative!!!)

Good as a filling for cakes, or just to eat on its own!

Try not to eat it all at once!

No comments: